Family Visas – Bringing a Parent or Child to Australia

by | Nov 18, 2017

Visas for relatives

There are a number of family visas that allow Permanent Residents of Australia or Citizens to bring their parents, brothers and sisters, children and other relatives to Australia. Visas such as the Last Remaining Relative, Agent Parent and Contributory parent visas can have extremely long wait times (upto 25 years) and in the case of Contributory parent visas, $40k+ in Government charges. We recommend you contact our office for an appointment to work out what the best visa.

parent visa

To qualify applicants must have most of their children in Australia and their children need to be permanent residents. At least 1 child must be settled – at least 2 years as a permanent resident in Australia. The main streams are the Aged Parent Visa (whereby your parents must be of pension age (as defined by Social Security Act), which is currently aged 65, Aged Contributory Parent (for those over 65) who make a substantial contribution (Approx. $40k) to the Australian Government, and Contributory parent (those aged under 65) who make a substantial contribution to the Australian Government. The requirements on where you must be at time of application can be onerous, as well as working out the Visa Application Charge and Assurance of Support. As such, we recommend you book an appointment with one of our Perth Migration Agents

Remaining Relative Visa

This visa is designed to enable Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens, to sponsor a remaining relative to migrate to Australia. To be eligible for this visa, the applicant must be the brother, sister or child of an Australian Resident and must be the last remaining relative of the applicant in their home country.

    Child visa

    This visa allows a child of an Australian permanent resident who is currently outside Australia to come to Australia to live with their parents. A Child visa subclass 101 is a permanent visa and allows your child to live permanently in Australia and lets an eligible parent sponsor their child to live in Australia. To be eligible for a subclass 101 Child visa, a child must be: sponsored by their parent or their parent’s partner, be younger than 18 years of age or if under 25, be a full-time student between 18 and 25 years of age, or due to a disability, be dependent on the sponsoring parent. The child must be single and must not be engaged to be married.


      Our Perth staff are university qualified and specialise purely in Migration law
      Contact Now