Specified Work – Working Holiday Visa Extension

If you have done specified work in regional Australia on your subclass 417 visa for at least 88 days months (3 months), you can apply for a 12-month extension of your working holiday visa.

Type of Work

The work you have done in the regional area must be “specified work”. This includes the following activities:


• The harvesting and/or packing of fruit and vegetable crops
• pruning and trimming vines and trees
• general maintenance crop work
• cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
• immediate processing of plant products
• maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
• immediate processing of animal products including shearing, butchery, packing and tanning (Note: Secondary processing of animal products, such as small goods processing and retail butchery is not eligible).
• manufacturing dairy produce from raw material.


• Conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
• Conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.


• Planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
• Felling trees in a plantation or forest
• Transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.


• Coal mining
• Oil and gas extraction
• Metal ore mining
• Construction material mining
• Non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
• Exploration.
• Mining support services


• Residential building construction
• Non-residential building construction
• Heavy and civil engineering construction
• Land development and site preparation services
• Building structure services
• Building installation services
• Building completion services
• Other construction services